Inventor Spotlight: The Drain Screed
Finally, a patented screed that actually allows water to drain from within the interior wall cavity!
Denis Friel, a renowned stucco and stone contractor by trade is a hands on inventor who develops solutions to real world problems. Most notably Denis is the inventor of the drainable weep screed and has licensed this patented technology to building products leaders such as AMICO to incorporate into their product line.
DRAIN SCREED GETS THE WATER OUT!
THE DRAIN SCREED DIFFERENCE
Large slots drain and ventilate the wall through the bottom of the wall cavity, while a 13mm trough accommodates various thicknesses of rain screen and drainage mats. Our patented rain screen termination with drainage slots prevent cracking at bottom of the wall. The integrated drip edges divert and flow water away from the wall. Attachment holes are located every 4” to nail at studs on 16” centers. This new patent is designed to accommodate the termination and drainage of various types of cladding.
Overview & Installation
Designed for Stucco, Thin Stone, Thin Brick, & Masonry Siding
DRAIN SCREED is a vinyl HI-PERFORMANCE trim that provides a straight, true, continuous surface that terminates the base of a stucco wall. DRAIN SCREED integrates many features to simplify installation providing guides to help installers maintain the proper stucco thickness. The key feature is the vented moisture trough which allows rain screen to be inserted to maintain the drainage cavity throughout the wall and out the bottom.
- Install Drain Screed at or below foundation plate
- Nail at studs on 16” centers
- Drain screed shall be installed no less than 4” above the earth or 2” above paved areas
- Water resistive barrier shall lap over the Drain screed
- Rainscreen drainage plane shall be fully seated in the bottom of the Drainscreed – For bugscreen trim 1” of entangled mesh leaving a scrim flap – Lap scrim flap underneath mesh to cover slots
- Exterior lath shall terminate even with the horizontal ledge on the Drain Screed
- Greenscreen drainage mats are recommended to drain and ventilate the interior of the wall cavity